Sabalan (Savalan) mountain and climbing on its Summit that is located in Ardabil city, northwestern Iran whose people speak Azeri Turkish language. Sultan (king) Savalan is the main and highest summit of Savalan at 4,811 meters in elevation. Savalan holds a crater lake on top of its summit. Savalan is the only mountain of the world with a natural permanent crater lake on its summit. Beautiful Sceneries on the way of shelter are really amazing. Visiting Nomad people who live in their special tents named “Alachiq” is one of the tourism attractions of Azerbaijan.
Trekking Around Sabalan Mountain
Trekking Around Sabalan Mountain
During the trip you will climb one of the beautiful mountains of Asia called Savalan (4811m), the only mountain of the world holding a permanent crater lake on its summit. Visiting Ardabil city and its historic attractions is cultural extension of the trip.
Ardabil is a north western city in Iran. 1350 m from sea level. Ardabil has border with the republic of Azerbaijan whose people are speaking Azeri Turkish too. There are many ancient places in Ardabil:
- 1. Sheikh Safi al-Din Shrine includes:The mausoleums of Sheikh Safi and Shah IsmaiI, Chini khaneh (meaning the house of chinaware), a mosque, Jannat Sara (meaning the house of paradise), Shahid khaneh (the house of martyrs), Khanaqah (the house of Dervishes), Cheragh Khaneh (the house of lights), Chelleh Khaneh (the place where devotees shut themselves up during the forty days of Fast). Dome of the mausoleum of Sheikh Safi, which is called “Allah-Allah” has an octagonal interior.
- 2. Ardabil Bazaar. This beautiful Persian bazaar was built during Safavid period
- 3. Ardabil Anthropology Museum.
- 4. Mausoleum of Sheikh Jabraeil.
- 5. Jum’a Masjid (Friday Mosque) is Ruins of a magnificent and unique Mosque.
- 6. Mirza Ali Akbar mosque & school which dates back to Qajar period
- 7. Ardabil bridges were built during Safavid era. Ardabil historical bridges are: Gilandeh, Yeddigoz, Panj Cheshmeh , Qarah Soo Bridge, and Seyyedabad.
- 8. Imamzadeh Saleh mausoleum: The mausoleum of Imamzadeh Saleh who is brother of Imam Reza was built 250 years ago.
- 9. Saint Mary church This Armenian orthodox church has a beautiful wooden main door and painted dome built in 1876.
- 10. Babadavood in Anbaran town.
Meshkin Shahr city is located in the northwestern Iran, 839 kilometers from Tehran the capital. Because of the vicinity to beautiful Sabalan (Savalan) Mountain it has s a moderate mountainous climate. Former name of Meshgin was “Khiav”. Eye-catching sceneries of Sabalan Mountain which can be seen from the city, attracts many tourists and mountain climbers from all over the world to climb one of the beautiful peaks of the world, Sultan Savalan(4810m). Meshgin Shahr dates back to the early centuries of Islam but in the Safavid era it was developed more. Meshgin Shahr is well known for its fruits, Azerbaijani rugs, its mineral springs, and also, Iran’s first geothermal power plant. Meshkinshahr has a Suspended bridge built in 2015, Meshgin suspended bridge is 365 meters long, and 80 meters above the Khiyav River.
Meshgin Shahr Tourism attractions are:
Old castle of Meshkin Shahr
Ancient site of Shahar Yeri, near the village of Pirazmian,
Qahqaheh castle (80 kilometers to Meshkin)
Old cemetery in Oonar
Petrograph of Shapour Sasani
Tomb of Sheykh Haydar in the city
Imamzadeh Seyyed Soleyman
Arshaq castle, 60 kilometers to Meshkin, etc
Having more than 15 Hot Mineral Springs in Sarein, have given a special fame to it. Many people from all over the world come to Sarein for hydrotherapy. Alvars skiing track is also in one of the villages of Sarein.
Starting point: Tabriz→Meshgin Ending point: Ardabil →Tabriz
Level of Difficulty: Sabalan’s northeast face is 3.5 out of 5
Physical Condition: Mountain climbers with the experience of over 4000 m can climb this mountain very easily. Generally fit-body mountaineers climb Savalan without any problem.
Airport pickup from Tabriz and we’ll come to Meshginshahr(1830m). We will Visit Old Castle & Shahr-Yeri. Overnight in hotel/camp. All meals are included.
After having a good breakfast we’ll drive to mineral hot springs of Gotour suei & Shabil (2870m) for swimming. We will eat lunch here and go to shelter 3000m by 4WD cars for acclimatization stay. Overnight we will eat dinner and stay in camp.
Early in the morning we will eat our breakfast and start ascending to Sabalan Summit (4811m) from northeast face. A lunch box has been provided for everyone during today. Then descend from south face to Chaygozi and Alvars(3200m) after we will drive to Sarein to rest and eat dinner overnight at Hotel.
Ardabil city tour including Sheikh Safi Mausoleum visit, Bazar, Mosque etc. Overnight in hotel of Sarein. All meals included for today.
Transfer to Tabriz airport is our final program. In Persian Tour Radar all meals are included until the time of departure.
Meshgin: 1 night hotel, 1 night camp.
Sarein: 2 nights hotel
Road of Tabriz to Meshgin is asphalted and in a proper condition, so is the road of Sarein to Ardabil and Ardabil to Tabriz.
- Accommodations (Hotel, Villa, Lodge, Shelter, Camp, Tent)
- Professional Mountain Guide with Climbing Instruction Certificate.
- Professional Cultural Guide for City Tours.
- Transportation (to and from airport, to and from Tabriz)
- Permits for Ascend.
- Permits for Entering each Region.
- Meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) during the Climbing Period and City.
- Entrance Fee to visited sites.
- Tips to Guides and Staffs.
- Hotel Reservation extra to the one mentioned in the Itinerary.
- Single Room Supplement.
- Visa Fee.
- Personal Travel Insurance.
- Any Extra Request not Mentioned in the Itinerary.
- Coffee House Services.
- Ski and Trekking Equipment
- During spring it would be possible to ascend but the weather is quite cold
- During summer from August to September is best time to ascend
- During fall constant snowing with storms is common on the summit area
- During winter it would be extremely difficult to ascend and Just really professional Climbers with full equipment could climb this mountain.
- Wicking base layers (synthetic or wool)
- Fleece jacket or vest
- Fleece pants
- Insulating jacket (down or poly fill)
- Insulating hat, cap, balaclava or headband
- Sun-shielding hat or cap
- Socks (synthetic or wool) plus spares
- Gloves or mittens
- Rain jacket with hood (or soft shell)
- Waterproof pants or bibs
- Bandana or Buff (neck or face gaiter)
- Sunglasses, goggles or glacier glasses
- Lip balm
- Headlamp or flashlight
- Extra batteries
- First-aid kit
- Duct tape
- Harness (with adjustable leg loops)
- Boots (crampon-compatible)
- Ice axe (with leash)
- Belay/rappel device
- Climbing pack
- Route description or guidebook
- Locking carabiner(s)
- Nonlocking carabiners
- Runners—singles and doubles
- Prusik cords
- Hand protection (athletic tape, gloves)
- Signaling mirror
- Crevasse rescue gear
- Avalanche transceiver
Here in Persian Tour Radar, we attempt to consider all the possibilities that might affect the performing of a trip, however, there might be geographical, political or social unexpected incidents that might influence the program and require changes like bad weather.
We usually suggest Reserve Day for ascents in fall and winter because of the unstable weather. Naturally, the nonrefundable cost of the day is added to the total sum of the trip that if not used will not be returned to the travelers.
The Persian Tour Radar’s camp are summer camps and are taken down before the heavy snow of each destination begins, therefore, the accommodation might not be Persian Tour Radar Camp.
Based on your physical fitness and mountaineering history, you can request changes to program, like omitting the acclimatization day/s or cultural city tours. You may also ask for addition of such days.
The luggage would be carried by mules in both destinations up to the camp, after that you can leave your packages in camp and ascend with light backpacks.
Cultural tours (Tehran, Kashan, Isfahan, Shiraz, Yazd, Kerman, and …)
Shopping Assistance (we can arrange for a shopping time and a person to help you)